Chicken 65 Recipe : This is the most basic chicken 65 recipe that is much is easier to learn and harder to mess up. Perfect for beginners. The dish itself has gained quite the name for it self and is being served almost all over India. And with a strange name like “65”, questions are bound to raise. There have been a lot of stories about its origin. We will get into that further after we learn how to make it. Chicken 65 is primarily a Deep fried chicken engulfed in a set of spices and few other ingredients. It is a simple dish with a preparation time of 15 mins and cooking time of an hour.
Each ingredient contributes its own unique essence which finally turns into a very wholesome taste at the end. So make sure you get all of them at one place before starting.
- Chicken Breasts (Cut in a slanting manner)
- Red Chili Powder
- Ginger and Garlic Paste (One teaspoon of Each)
- Garam Masala Powder (1/2 Teaspoon)
- Corn Starch
- Refined Flour
- An Egg
- A Lemon
- Red Chili Paste (Optional)
- Cumin seeds
- Mustard Seeds
- Red Chili (Whole)
- Curry Leaves
- Scraped Coconut
How To Make Chicken 65
Start by cutting chicken. It is better to get whole chicken breasts instead of small pieces so that you can cut it yourself for the best possible shapes. Cut the pieces in a slanting manner, see the pic for reference. What this does is it makes the white meat more tender and reduces fiber which is not ideal for what we want it to be.
1. Marination : After cutting the chicken as described, Collect the pieces in a bowl and add 1 Teaspoon of red chili powder, salt, ginger and garlic paste, garam masala powder, corn starch, refined flour and an egg.
Note : Don’t overuse corn starch and refined flower
Mix all of these in order to get the flavor distributed uniformly to every single piece of chicken. After mixing squeeze one whole lemon into the mixture and mix once again.
2. Frying : Heat up some oil in your pan and start adding the marinated pieces into it. Keep frying until a crispy texture pops up and take out the fried chicken into a bowl.
3. Final Cooking : Reduce the oil in your pan and start fresh by adding 1 teaspoons each of cumin and mustard seeds along with one whole red chili. Pour some curry leaves for that steamy aroma you experience in restaurants. After this add a blended mixture of yogurt,1/2 teaspoon of refined flour and red chili paste (or powder) into your cooking pot/wok and mix everything well.
Fact : There are several theories on How this dish got its name. Few of which are :-
Chicken 65 got its name because it was featured from the year 1965 onwards, by Buhari hotel, Madras, in celebration of their 50 years. That’s how chicken 65 got its name.
This dish was mentioned in 65th number of a Hyderabad-based Restaurant and that is how it got its name.
Finally, add the fried chicken into the yogurt mixture and cook by tossing the pan/wok until the chicken absorbs the tart flavor of our yogurt.
Serve it as a snack.
We hope this tutorial helps you to make Chicken 65 At home. If you are having any questions regarding this recipe or wanna add one of your own, do comment that bellow. Questions will be answered and best recipes shall be added here along with your name ! For better results, marinate the chicken overnight.
Note : There are may other ways to make Chicken 65. Everyone have their own variants. This was FlossHype’s take on this recipe. It handles the dish in a different way from others and can taste very different from the ones you’ve tried at the restaurants near you.
If you want, you can add food coloring to the marinated mixture to attain “stereotypical chicken 65 red color”.